Thursday, January 22, 2015

37 weeks: RSV, pneumonia & an ear infection

This week has been brutal. Reid's cold got worse and was diagnosed as RSV on Monday. Then he got a fever and it turned into pneumonia. So he's on antibiotics for that now. Then Ruby's got worse too, and she was up last night with ear pain and a fever today. I took both kids to the doctor this morning, and now Ruby's on antibiotics too. I started getting sick on Friday, and Andy's been sick/having to work. People have been super generous in providing us meals, which has been nice. But I just can't wait for the kids to get better. I'm not putting them in the nursery for a month after this so they get a chance to recover. This time of year is seriously no fun.
In spite of all of that, we've still had some nice times this week. Here are some photos.
Trying to get a selfie of me and the kids. It's a little fuzzy, but it captured a sweet kiss from Reid.
Ruby has been loving helping me do the dishes.
Doing Mommy's hair.
On Friday Andy took Ruby out on a date while Reid and I hit up Costco.
My three loves.
I was looking for Ruby's horses, and this is where she put them. They were taking a nap. Haha!
Helping Mommy make sandwiches. She cut hers by herself.
He likes reaching for things.
I decided that it might be our old house that's been making us so sick. So I opened up a bunch of windows to air it out one day. Reid and I bundled up because it got a little chilly. I don't think it helped much.
Reading stories.
This was after Reid's RSV diagnosis. We started doing 3 a day breathing treatments for him.
Poor sick baby. He's so sweet.
I made an onion/garlic poultice for their chests to help with coughing. It was cute.
We got a phone book on our porch, and Andy gave it to Ruby for a coloring book.
More dish washing. She usually gets all wet.
Cute little sicky.
On Tuesday night our kind doctor came to look at Reid and decided he needed a chest x-ray.
The x-ray plate was in front of him, and when she removed it, I saw that he had been licking it. Hah! He really didn't mind being strapped up like this. Later that night we heard that he had pneumonia. So we got some antibiotics on Wednesday morning for him.
This morning I took both kids to the doctor because Reid still has a fever, and Ruby got one with ear pain too. They had to wear these masks in the waiting room because RSV is very contagious. Reid ended up needing some more tests, so we had to go to the lab for blood tests. They all turned out normal though. We're hoping his fever just goes away on its own.
Ruby was really not feeling good, so while I was making lunch, she went and put herself to bed. She actually fell asleep all on her own, which is super abnormal for her. Poor girl. So then I took a nap with Reid.
After nap I decided the kids needed a detox bath. So I put them in with some epsom salts and essential oils and they had fun together, fevers and all.
Ruby can recognize all of the letters in her name and can spell it!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you have been housebound with sick kids! Glad they are getting better!


Camp Awesome!

The big kids went to Camp Awesome at church on Tues-Thurs. They had so much fun! Reid stayed from 9-12, and Ruby stayed from 9-4!  Read...